Monday, February 25, 2008

Lunch Time

When you were in high school, or perhaps you still are now, how much food do you think was wasted in your cafeteria? I know I wasted a lot just by myself. A recent article on USA Today’s website looks on the brighter side of cafeteria waste.

San Diego State University will use only trans-fat-free oil for cooking. To
minimize environmental effects, the university has a food composting program,
and leftover biodegradable scraps are used by campus landscaping. Last year 50
tons of waste were turned into compost; this year the target goal is 75 tons.
Oil used in cooking is also recycled to produce bio-fuel that runs the campus
vehicles.


This plan seems beneficial for the school and the surrounding environment. Many schools such as Slippery Rock University and schools in Southwest Washington are jumping on board as well.

1 comment:

Babz said...

I love to hear things like this. I hope that other schools will jump on board as well.